Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Is this a Slacker?

Dear Suz, I am in my mid-20's and I have no clue what I want to do with my life. All of my friends went to college and are now searching for jobs in their field. I have had jobs in different fields, and they all paid the bills, but I feel like I should be searching for the thing I really want to do. Any ideas?- Lost Generation Whatever


Deal Lost,
If you are getting bills paid, you are probably doing better than some of your friends who will only accept jobs (careers) in their field. So since you aren't in a money crunch and don't need to do anything immediately I suggest you enjoy your jobs, and look around for possible careers that interest you. If you are planning to devote the rest of your life to pursuing a career and the advancement that comes with it, it's probably a pretty good idea to be sure that it is something you will enjoy. I know I'm supposed to tell you that you should have gone to college and made this decision already, but I can't honestly do that.

I am in my mid 30's and I have had jobs all my life, that pay the bills. I got settled in took classes and became a property manager a few years ago, then I figured out I could make extra money doing what I really love by writing. So I do both. Finding something you like to do that pays you is worth the time spent on all those jobs to pay the bills while you get to that point. I love both of my careers, and didn't spend 4 years in college to do it. Take your time and figure out what you really enjoy, and what you are really good at, then pursue it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate of others and refrain from using profanity in your comments. If you have a question you would like answered please submit it to: askawayquestions@yahoo.com. Thank You!