Thursday, July 16, 2009

Is He For Real?

Dear Suz -
I've found that I'm completely obsessed with someone online. I talk to this guy frequently and we've really hit it off. Seems like we have a lot in common. I Google his name all the time just so I can read anything about him (he spends time on a lot of public forums). I have him on my IM and every time I see him online I try to chat with him. He's told me a lot of stuff about himself, but a few things don't seem quite like he's telling me the truth. Do you think he's being honest with me - like he tells me that he feels a real connection and stuff. I feel it too, but I'm just not sure what to think. Some of our chats have veered into some, umm, very personal areas - know what I mean (and I mean he really, really has a way with words)? And I spend so much time thinking about him that it makes it hard for me to do other stuff. Do you think this relationship is real and worth hanging onto or am I just fooling myself?
Confused but turned on

Dear Confused,
Obsessed sounds like the right word for what you are! The internet has made meeting and connecting with people so much easier than it used to be. However it has also made the whole beginning of relationships faster and less reliable. When you are chatting with someone on the internet you have no idea if they are even who they say they are. There are many people in the world who are predators and scammers.
So my first bit of advice would be that if he is asking you for anything more than your time and conversation, forget about him!
The fact that he is on many social networks isn't necessarily a bad thing, many people join them for their different groups of friends and family, but maybe you aren't the only girl he is chatting with, and "feeling a real connection" with.

As to your statement that some of what he says doesn't seem true, without the benefit of face to face, or IRL ( in real life) interaction you have no real way of verifying what he tells you. This leaves you to trust your instincts, and if your instincts tell you that there may be more or less to this persons story then you should decide what to do about it. It is up to you to either call him on it, ignore it, or stop talking to him. But when it comes to a relationship trust and honesty are very important. If you feel you can't believe what he says and you haven't even met him yet, that should tell you something.

In reference to your comment about your "ummm personal"conversations, my opinion is if it isn't hurting anyone else go for it, after all it is just conversation. But if it comes down to photos or cameras you may want to skip that part of the game. You wouldn't want to be surfing the net one day and come across shots of your private areas on some sleazy website.

Confused, only you know whether this could be a "real" relationship, because there are so many factors that will help you make that determination. But from where I'm sitting it sounds like you have an internet crush and should probably look for a real live guy that you can get to know in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate of others and refrain from using profanity in your comments. If you have a question you would like answered please submit it to: askawayquestions@yahoo.com. Thank You!