Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Monster In Law?

Dear Suz
Help! my soon to be father in law has made a move on me. He actually told me that he knew how to handle a woman much better than his son, and if I wanted a real man I'd try him out before the wedding. Should I tell his son, or his wife, or just keep this to myself and avoid him. At the time there were other people nearby and I walked away like I didn't hear him. He was drinking at the time so I am hoping this won't happen again, but this man is going to be part of my life on a regular basis, we are buying a house only 5 minutes away from my fiance's parents house. I don't want to cause a big rift or family feud, especially if it was just a drunken comment. What should I do?
Signed: The Happy Bride

Dear Bride, I have the perfect solution for you. It won't require a tense discussion with your fiancee or his mother, and shouldn't create a family issue. Arrange some alone time with your almost father in law, take him to lunch or something. While you are chatting and relaxed mention to him that you did hear his comment, and after much thinking you feel that you should let him know that you are not now, nor will you ever be interested in him in that way. That you are aware he may have been a little tipsy when he made the comment and so you are giving him the benefit of the doubt, but if he is ever inappropriate with you in any way you will call a family meeting and inform both his son and his wife of his behavior. Express to him that you don't want any hard feelings or tension as you join your new family and just want to clear the air between you so that you both know where you stand.

After this conversation unless something else out of the way is said to you, put it out of your mind and never mention it again. This way you haven't created a family feud, you haven't caused a rift between your soon to be husband and his father, and you haven't informed you almost mother in law that her husband is a lecherous fool. Everyone saves face, and no one is hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate of others and refrain from using profanity in your comments. If you have a question you would like answered please submit it to: askawayquestions@yahoo.com. Thank You!