Sunday, July 19, 2009

Long Distance Failure to Launch?

Dear Suz,
While working out of town for 3 months I met a wonderful guy. We developed a relationship and talked about him relocating to where I live, about 400 miles away. He doesn't have a major career like I do, he works mostly from his home on the internet, so moving wouldn't be a problem for him. We discussed all of this and the plan was for him to come here about 30 days after I returned home. It has now been almost 6 months, and he still isn't here. We talk several times a day, and he says he wants to come but his parents need him to stay there. Suz, his parents are only in their early 50's, they have no health issues and both still work. When we mentioned his moving here they were supportive. Is this just his way of blowing me off or is he some sort of mama's boy who will never leave the nest? Oh yeah, he lives in a cottage behind his parents house. Sometimes I want to tell him to forget it and move on, but I really love him and want to build a future with him- here. What should I do?
- Blown Off in Arizona

Dear Blown Off,

In my opinion, and mind you I have a suspicious nature, but in my opinion it sounds like Mr. Wonderful is having second thoughts. I would give him a deadline of 30 days to come up with firm plans for the move, or else you will stop discussing it and you can be long distance friends. Try not to make it sound like an ultimatum, but let him know that you can't put your life on hold waiting for him to be ready to leave Mommy and Daddy. You are looking for someone to build your life with, and if he isn't ready to be that person you may just have to start looking elsewhere.

Also for someone who has always lived close to their family a move like that is a big decision, and not one to be made lightly, but after this much time he should definitely be ready to sh*t or get off the pot to put it crudely.

Best of luck Blown Off, let me know what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate of others and refrain from using profanity in your comments. If you have a question you would like answered please submit it to: askawayquestions@yahoo.com. Thank You!